Project 401 Poyntz
Records show a two story limestone building has resided at the southwest corner of 4th and Poyntz in Manhattan, Kansas dating back to 1885. The original two-story structure was managed by W.P. Higinbotham and housed banking operations in addition to a hardware store and dressmaking shop. In 1905 the Stingley Brothers completely renovated and reconstructed much of the building to its current footprint for The Union National Bank. In the 1970’s the bank moved locations and the first floor was converted to retail space.
BBN provided design services to comprehensively renovate the interior and exterior of the building, a process that including limestone wall restoration, window replacement, new finishes and fixtures, mechanical, electrical, and plumbing system improvements, and structural rehabilitation. This work was conducted under the State Rehabilitation Tax Credit program.
Merit Award for Excellence; Preservation Stewardship Award: Kansas Preservation Alliance
Historic Preservation Building Award; Whole Building Renovation: The Manhattan/Riley County Preservation Alliance